Hey mate! Ever dreamed of working in the USA?

You can make it happen with Bluestone Lane! Join our team on a J1 visa and jump-start your American adventure today. We’re always looking for international talents (from Australia and beyond) to become part of the Bluestone Lane fam. If you’re motivated, enthusiastic, and love working with people, get in touch today.

Finding a job is often the most stressful part about moving overseas, but we’re here to make it that little bit easier.

With a job lined up before you even depart, you can hit the ground running and take advantage of all the incredible opportunities the US has to offer. Whether you join us as a skilled barista, a friendly server, or a back-of-house hero, you’ll be part of a supportive and welcoming team, serving up delicious coffee and food and meeting incredible locals every day. With stores all across the US, from New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C to San Francisco, Texas and Los Angeles, Bluestone Lane provides a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in US culture. What better place to meet locals and make new friends than at a bustling coffee shop?




What is the J-1 visa?

The J1 visa allows foreigners to work and live in the United States for up to 12 months. To qualify, you need to be between the ages of 18-35, and either a full-time student, deferred student or recent graduate. If you’re applying as a recent graduate you must enter the U.S no more 12 months past the date on your certificate, diploma or degree. Please note we require a minimum of 3 months commitment for J1 applicants.

Am I eligible for the J-1?

As the J-1 is a student exchange visa, you must be a post-secondary student or recent graduate – i.e. you must have completed at least one year of a bachelor’s degree program or other course which will lead to an issuance of a degree. If you are a recent graduate, you must have completed your degree within the past 12 months.

How long does it last?

The length of the J-1 visa varies country-to-country but all will allow you to work and travel in the U.S. for up to 12 months.

How much does it cost?

There is a cost for the J-1 visa and a booking fee for the interview at the U.S. Consulate. You are also required to cover the cost of the travel/medical insurance for the length of your stay.

How do I find a J-1 sponsor company?

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs has an approved list of sponsors, you can find one for you via this link. There are also agencies* in each country which assist in the facilitation of applying for an obtaining a J-1 visa – contact us for recommended agencies.

*additional cost involved

Do I need to have a job organized before arriving?

You are not required to have pre-organized employment prior to arriving in the U.S.

What sort of job can I work in?

You are required to perform the job activity that you have listed on your Form DS-2019 and as stated in the regulations of your category of exchange.

Does my J-1 program sponsor need to approve my job placement?

Your J-1 program sponsor must approve your job placement, approval is required before you are able to begin working at your new job.

Am I required to have health insurance on the J-1?

Yes – participants are required to carry medical insurance at the minimum benefit levels. Your program sponsor will be able to recommend medical/travel insurance that will be appropriate for your stay in the U.S.

What position could I work in at Bluestone Lane?

We have many exciting roles available at Bluestone Lane – we are currently recruiting café & coffee shop roles (Baristas, Servers, Team Captains, Managers) for our stores in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., San Francisco & Los Angeles!

Can I work two different jobs on the J-1?

Yes, you can.

What happens after the 12 months finish?

As the J-1 is a non-immigrant visa, you are required to return to your home country after your J-1 has expired.

What if I’m not eligible for the J-1 visa or want to stay in the US after my J-1 has expired?

There are several other work visas that you may be eligible for. View more info about work visas.


Apply directly by sending your resume and preferred location to [email protected] in order to secure an interview and start your J-1 visa application process!